Tire FAQs: How to Care for Your Tires
Next to getting your oil changed, tire care is among the most important forms of vehicle maintenance there is. Make sure that you’re rolling around the streets of West Bloomfield both safely and efficiently by following these tire care tips.
Q: Why is tire pressure important?
Driving with under-inflated tires can cause major problems for your vehicle such as:
- A hard time turning and braking with optimal precision
- Your fuel economy will decrease as well
On top of all that, underinflated tires can cause excessive friction, causing your tires to wear down more quickly than they should and making them go out much sooner than they would otherwise.
Q: How do I check my tire pressure?
On the sidewall of your tires, you’ll find their recommended PSI (usually between 30 and 35). Stop at a gas station with an air pump, and fill up the tires to the recommended air pressure. If you’re uncomfortable doing this on your own, the Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills service team will be happy to take care of this at your next service appointment.
Q: Why is tire tread important?
Running on bald or low-tread tires is dangerous. In addition to the fact that your vehicle isn’t as responsive as it should be in terms of steering or braking, you’re also at risk of blowing a tire, which puts both you and those around you at serious risk.
Q: How do I check my tire tread?
Luckily, checking your tire tread is pretty simple. While a tread-depth gauge is the ideal method of measuring tire tread, the old-fashioned “penny test” still works well. Here’s all you do:
- Turn the penny so Lincoln’s head is upside down.
- With Lincoln’s head now pointing into the tire, insert the penny between two treads.
If you can still see the top of Lincoln’s head, it means your tire tread is too low, and it’s likely time to get new tires.
Q: Why is it important to rotate my tires?
As you drive your vehicle, your driving habits tend to wear down the tread on certain tires more quickly than others. Getting your tires rotated ensures even wear and improved both the performance and lifespan of your tires. The easiest way to stay on top of tire rotations is to perform them every several thousand miles, or at the very least, every other time you get an oil change.
Q: How do I change a flat tire?
In the event you find yourself with a flat follow these easy steps to get back on your way in Southfield:
- First, make sure you find a safe spot off of the road that doesn’t put you at risk. Put your hazard lights on, and make sure the parking brake is activated.
- Get out of the car, and apply the wheel wedges, remove the hubcap, and loosen the lug nuts.
- Place the jack under the car, and raise the vehicle.
- At this point, you’ll need to unscrew the lug nuts so you can remove the flat tire.
- From here, mount the spare tire and tighten the lug nuts.
- Lower the vehicle partially, and re-tighten the lug nuts before lowering the vehicle all the way.
- Replace the hubcap, put all your equipment away, and double check that the spare tire’s pressure is correct.
- Get to a tire center for a new tire ASAP. Spare tires are only intended to be a temporary fix, and they’re not to be used when driving at high speeds!
Get Your Vehicle Serviced in West Bloomfield Today
While many of the procedures, like changing the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob, jump-starting a dead battery, or the ones mentioned above can be handled by DIY enthusiasts, you can count on the team at Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills to help if you lack the time or desire to perform these tasks yourself. Schedule your next tire service for your vehicle here at Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills!
Our Service Specials
We are currently updating our Service Specials. Please check back soon.
Recent News From Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills
Have a craving that only Italian food can satisfy? Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills is way ahead of you! Whether you’re looking for a highly rated eatery for a quick bite on your lunch break or a full-course meal, you’ll find plenty of worthy options in our list below. Read on for our picks for the best Italian restaurants…
If you’re looking for a luxury driving experience that doesn’t sacrifice leg room, then the 2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS interior will surely impress with its fantastic features and upscale materials. This 7-seat Mercedes-Benz SUV is practical enough to accommodate anything on the schedule but also filled with some of the top technology on the market today….
It may be tough to decide exactly which Mercedes-Benz SUV to buy when there are so many great options, but for busy drivers, the Mercedes-Benz GLE utility just might change the way you drive. Between its top-notch technology and smart design, the new GLE lineup was built to make your life easier. Let’s take a…