How Do You Change a Car Tire?
Whether your tire treads have worn down too far or you’ve experienced a flat tire, and you want to put new tires on yourself at home near West Bloomfield, knowing how to change a tire is an essential skill to have. This saves you from having to wait on the side of the road or riding around on tires in bad shape. Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills is here to show you how to change a car tire. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our service center if you have any questions along the way.
Changing Your Mercedes-Benz Tires Near Southfield
To change the tires on your Mercedes-Benz vehicle, you will need the right tools: a jack, lug wrench, spare tire or new tire(s), and your vehicle’s owner’s manual. Replacing your tire is simple and straightforward.
- If you’re on the side of the road near Birmingham, make sure to pull over to a safe place and turn on your hazard lights.
- Apply the parking brake and wheel wedges under the other tires.
- Remove the wheel cover or hubcap from the tire, then loosen the lug nuts.
- Use the jack to raise your vehicle and remove the lug nuts.
- Remove the current tire and mount the new or spare tire.
- Tighten the lug nuts, then lower your vehicle back to the ground.
How Often Should You Change Car Tires?
The answer depends on how often you rotate tires and how well they’re made. With regular rotations, you should be able to get the full mileage, but it’s still recommended to check your tire pressure and tread regularly. If the tread wear is too significant, new tires are needed. It’s recommended to schedule a tire rotation when you get your routine oil change to ensure they last as long as possible.
How to Put Air in Your Tires
If it’s not time to change your tires and you’re wondering how to put air in them, we can help! If you don’t own your air pump, stop by your local Troy gas station to use theirs. To put air in your tires, follow these simple steps below:
- Park your vehicle by the air dispenser and ensure that the hose can reach each tire.
- Remove the cap on the tire valve of the first tire.
- Check the air pressure in the tire by using your tire gauge. It’s recommended to do this at home because tires can heat up when you drive, which causes the air inside to expand. This can provide a false reading.
- Use the air hose to add small amounts of air in short bursts while checking the tire gauge each time.
Keep checking the tire gauge until you hit the right amount of pressure!
How Many Miles Can You Go on a Spare Tire?
If you put the spare tire on your vehicle, it’s essential to have a new, permanent tire put on as soon as possible. Spare tires are not meant for driving on for that long. They rarely last more than 50 miles. The spare tire will say the specific speed limits, but it’s typically below 50 mph.
Get Additional Tire Tips in Bloomfield Hills at Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills!
If you don’t want to change the tire yourself, don’t hesitate to schedule a service appointment with our service center. Our team will get your tires taken care of, and you’ll be back out on the road in no time. Contact our service center for additional tire care tips or if you have any additional questions!
More from Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills
West Bloomfield drivers are tackling their daily commutes in luxury with the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class. Better still, the 2020 Mercedes-Benz E-Class trim levels have something for every driver. No matter what you’re looking for in your next luxury sedan, you’ll find it in the E-Class. When it comes to budget, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class price is pretty…
A new Mercedes-Benz S-Class is on the way, and it’s unlike anything else West Bloomfield has seen thus far. The forthcoming 2021 Mercedes-Benz S-Class is slated to be released in Spring of 2021, and you definitely don’t want to miss it. Why? The newest generation of S-Class will introduce new innovations never before seen in the…
The 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLS SUV is a top-rated full-size vehicle that can comfortably seat up to seven adult passengers. What’s more impressive than the affordable price tag is the new Mercedes-Benz GLS weight capabilities, cargo volumes, and space-saving features. Get all of the details about the Mercedes-Benz GLS dimensions, cargo weight, and more with…