How to Change the Battery in Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob
Is the battery of your Mercedes-Benz key fob on its last legs? In the guide below, we’ll go over the telltale signs of a dying key fob battery, how to open your Chrome Key or Smart Key, and how to replace the battery.
When To Replace Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
There are several warning signs that indicate it’s about time to change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob:
- You may notice your vehicle is gradually becoming more difficult to start. If it takes several minutes or multiple attempts, it can be an indicator of a weak key fob battery.
- If you lose the ability to lock and unlock your doors or set off the panic alarm, your battery might be on its way out.
- If you notice a warning sign on your dashboard that indicates an issue with the charging system, it can mean that you are losing battery power in your key fob.
If you experience any of these warning signs, take the proactive step to change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob to prevent issues when on the road in West Bloomfield.
Which Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery Do I Need?
When it comes time to change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob, the first thing you’ll need to do is determine whether you have a Chrome Key or a Smart Key. This will impact how the batteries are changed because a Smart Key needs two CR 2025 batteries, while the newer Chrome Key only needs one.
How to Open Your Mercedes-Benz Car Key Fob to Replace the Battery
You’ll need to follow slightly different steps to open a Chrome Key and a SmartKey—but once you get your key fob open and access the battery, changing it out is simple! Here’s how to open a Mercedes-Benz key fob for the Chrome Key or Smart Key:
To open a Mercedes-Benz Chrome Key and replace the battery:
- Look for a silver square-shaped tab on the bottom of the key. Pull it until it releases the spare key.
- You should now see a small gap in the fob casing. Push the spare key into the narrow and flat end of the fob and open the key cover.
- Remove and replace the old battery, ensuring that it is facing the right way.
To open a Mercedes-Benz Smart Key and replace the battery:
- Pull the latch end of the fob to release the key.
- In its place, you should see a slot at the end of the fob casing.
- Insert the key here to open the battery compartment.
- Remove and replace the old battery after making sure it is facing the right way.
Experience Affordable Mercedes-Benz Service Cost at Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills
Need help replacing your key battery, or have questions about other car-care issues like jump-starting a dead battery? Our Bloomfield Hills service center can help you out with expert advice or perform the services you need at a reasonable price. Feel free to contact us with any questions, and be sure to check out our service specials before booking your appointment!
More from Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills
Whether you’ve got a growing West Bloomfield family that needs an extra row of seating or your weekend hobbies require extra storage space, upsizing your ride doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice quality. If you’re interested in 3rd-row Mercedes-Benz SUVs, the 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLB should be at the top of your wishlist. This stunning model is…
If you’re looking to take on your West Bloomfield drives with a luxury coupe or SUV, we have you covered with the new Mercedes-Benz GLC. How much is a Mercedes-Benz GLC? Find out in this GLC trim levels guide for both the SUV and coupe body styles. It’s time that you find the luxury vehicle that’s…
The 2022 Mercedes-Benz GLC is the perfect balance of opulence and power, and one of its many highlights is the luxurious cabin. The Mercedes-Benz GLC interior seats up to five West Bloomfield passengers and offers up to 56.5 cubic feet of cargo space. Not only is it spacious, but it’s also well-equipped with state-of-the-art features and…
Are you looking to buy the fastest Mercedes-Benz roadster, convertible, or coupe available today? You’ll want to start by scouring West Bloomfield-area dealerships for a 2021 Mercedes-AMG® GT 63 S 4-door Coupe or a 2021 Mercedes-AMG® GT Black Series Coupe. Both of these models belong to the brand’s high-performance AMG® division—and have logged a scorching 0…
Spring is here, and with it warmer days and more outdoor activities. If you’re looking for some fun spring activities near West Bloomfield, MI, you’re in luck! While we hope to be your first choice when shopping for a new Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-Benz of Bloomfield Hills is always happy to help you explore the Birmingham area. View InventoryBloomfield Hills…
Ready to see green energy in a new light? The all-new 2022 EQS is doing more than any other model to advance EV technology toward its true potential. This luxury electric sedan takes everything you love about motoring for its own sake—and updates it with innovations like self-leveling AIRMATIC® air suspension, intelligent navigation, and…